Monday, February 21, 2011

Midterm




Artist Statement

For my big idea, I chose identity but chose to focus more on body image. In my first diptych, I showed a collage of many people obsessing over their body image and how they worry so much  about the way they look because of the expectations others have set for the way they think you should look. I wend online and researched images under terms like, body image, and identity to find my images. In the second Diptych you see a model who is dressed up in measuring tape. I chose to do this because I wanted to use the things I learned in photoshop to not only create my big idea, but to show something like fashion that I am interested in. I chose this image because I wanted people to feel that it was ironic to see a model wrapped up in a tape measurer, which leads back into what do we expect people to look like? I really enjoyed this especially because I used something that I love like fashion, and found a way to design my own artwork using photoshop.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsten, thank you for addressing this issue! People, mostly females are expected to dress and look a certain way according to societal expectations. Your tape measure lady makes a great statement and as I mentioned earlier today, I think she would pop from the paper if placed on a black background and would make a great color connection with your sweet collage of people worried about how they look. I believe there is a time in our lives that we accept and say "I am happy with my body...." However, I would like to add to that statement by saying, "but my good health is most important!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten great work. I think the second portion of your diptych really encapsulates the first. Were I to only see the second (as I mentioned in our debrief) I would draw many of the same conclusions as from the first image. Some improvements could be made with respect to dimensionality and realism in the second image particularly, but your concept is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten I really like the two different types of image you used to portray your idea. I really liked the idea of the dress being turned into an image of what society really worry about the size and the measurement and not really what the dress looks like. I do feel that the image is a bit flat and I know that you spent a lot of time with it so I would like to see it pop more off the screen and give it some depth. Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like these two images and how they relate to your big idea. I can relate and understand the idea and it interests me a lot.

    ReplyDelete